Auto Scroller

 People of SFN ancestry should register as Citizens through the Citizens Committee. This includes registering births. This information will help SFN update its list of Citizens. For information about applying for SFN Citizenship, contact the Enrollment Officer 

Note: Births must also be registered with the Yukon Government department of Vital Statistics.

Citizens should also register with the federal department of Aboriginal Affairs & Northern Development (formerly Indian & Northern Affairs) to obtain their Registered Indian status. This registration may further entitle them to a wide range of programs and services offered by federal agencies, territorial and provincial governments.

In 1985, important changes were made to the Indian Act to bring it in line with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom. In 2011, Bill C-3: Gender Equity in Indian Registration Act was implemented and ensures that eligible grandchildren of women who lost their status as a result of marriage to non-Indian men are now entitled to register as Indians. For more information, visit

Indian Registration Act Application

Registration as a Status Indian can be done using the forms at

Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada

For help filling out forms to obtain passports, register births, apply for social insurance cards, obtain long-form birth certificates, or get answers on enrolment questions, contact 1.800.661.0451